Monday, January 19, 2009

Helping the Community

I loved "All the Presidents Men." I got into journalism out of a desire to help people while telling stories. As a former boss once said "We're here to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the comfortable."

I've been reminded of our power to help our viewers twice this month. The first instance will be highlighted in tonight's "Manhunt Monday" report at 5pm and 10pm. The other came in an email to Sophia. A viewer detailed her experience as a victim of Cyber-stalking, and then asked for help. Sophia and I responded with the same advice we heard from the experts we've interviewed: call the police and they can help. I won't reveal the details of her story, and I don't even know where she lives, other than somewhere in the 702 area code. But I plan on taking her email to police and some social service agencies to see if they can offer any more advice.

On days when I wonder what I'm doing here, I'll be able to think about these two little victories.

No comments: